Junior Engager Asia and Emerging Markets
The holder of this job is part of the Engagement team, under supervision, for research for senior Engagement team members, supporting corporate and public policy / best practice engagement work, providing project support to relevant sector, theme and country teams, planning and executing voting, and providing screening and CCR services. A large part of this role will involve supporting a senior engager with primary responsibility for the company’s engagement activities in Asia and global emerging markets (GEMs).
· Undertake appropriate research to plan effectively engagement and specific company interactions. This will include financial, strategic and ESG risks and opportunities analyses. Take part in ESG/thematic/sector/country engagement activities of the team.
· Support the delivery of positive outcomes in line with client engagement objectives by drafting agendas for and occasionally participating with senior engagers on interactions with specific companies, investors and other key opinion makers. Engagement activities will also entail drafting written correspondence with client portfolio companies and write-ups for recording in Salesforce for senior engagers.
· Support senior engagement professionals on public policy work including preparing consultation responses.
· Execute pro-active votes on proxy voting platform in line with clients' policies, escalating issues to senior engagers as appropriate before and after the vote.
Screening and CCR Services
· Carry out relevant company research to support delivery of screening services, including Controversial Company Reports.
· Provide support to senior engagers on ESG integration work with investment teams.
Reporting and client relationship management
· Record and report on all activities on the engagement management system. Support responses to ad-hoc client reporting requests. Drafting articles and blog contributions for publication by the client team.
Special Project Work
Provide support on an ad-hoc basis for special projects undertaken by the Voting and Engagement Support team and the Business and Client Development team.
Adhere to the FCA’s Conduct Rules, understanding that they set basic standards of good personal conduct.
Who we are looking for
· Demonstrated interest in ESG issues and themes (e.g. board effectiveness, human capital management, climate change) is an advantage
• Fluency (written and spoken) in English and Japanese (read, write and listening) is required
• Minimum of 1-2 years of work experience in a related or relevant field is preferred, such as corporate development, sustainability, strategy, governance, investor relations, finance, accountancy or investment/ business consultancy, equity or debt research or legal advisory services
• To enhance the diversity of skills and experience in the team, candidates with computer science, mathematics, sciences, engineering disciplines is an advantage
• Postgraduate qualification in relevant discipline (ACCA, MBA, CFA or similar) an advantage
• Strong interest in stewardship and responsible investment
• Excellent time management is vital, as is the ability to work to short deadlines and under pressure
• Strong analytical ability, problem solving and attention to detail
• Ability to work well independently or as part of a team
• Self-confident, self-motivated and proactive
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Business awareness / negotiating and influencing skills
• Computer literate (MS Office)
Candidate must be eligible to work in the UK without restriction
Asset management company