Senior Engager Asia and Emerging Markets
Competitive, AD level
The holder of this job, based in London is responsible for leading development and delivery of the engagement strategy for significant components of our client’s business and public policy & market best practice Engagement Plan, agreed with clients globally across a number of sectors and ESG-related themes. This position will also support the development of allocated regional proxy voting policies/execution and provide oversight of voting in line with policy at prioritised or escalated companies. The job holder will have a considerable internal and external profile, being responsible for building client relationships and developing business opportunities with allocated clients.
lead the development and delivery of the engagement strategy for significant components of our client’s Engagement Plan:
· Lead the development and delivery of engagement strategy in Asia and global emerging markets (GEMs), across a number of relevant environmental, social and governance themes (e.g. information security, natural resources stewardship) and sectors (e.g. industrials or healthcare). This requires coordinating teams of colleagues to identify and prioritise corporate and public policy & market best practice engagement objectives and issues.
· Lead corporate engagement through development of a regular dialogue and meetings at Board and Executive Committee level and with senior managers at allocated companies on all relevant corporate governance, long-term strategy and environmental and social risks, in line with agreed KPIs.
· Produce timely, high quality summaries of engagements for clients, together with summary case studies for completed engagement objectives, to be presented in published form and orally.
· Oversee, edit or write responses to public policy consultations on relevant issues arising in the assigned areas of responsibility by geography (corporate governance), theme (environmental and social risks) or sector (as relevant).
· Support integration of engagement work into the company’s investment process and wider products and services provided to clients.
· Demonstrate leadership on engagement, sharing best practice engagement techniques and offering mentoring and support to other team members.
Voting & ESG data products:
Support timely and effective voting recommendations, together with updating of content for other ESG client products:
Develop and maintain a positive external profile by representing the company in relevant committees and working groups, speaking at conferences and other public events and appearing in all forms of media as an authorised spokesperson covering allocated markets/ themes/ sectors.
Clients and business development:
Support business development and client retention by working with the client team to ensure a strong client relationship. Participate in specific prospecting and promotional activities.
Leadership, learning and development:
· Contribute to the development and delivery of the wider Engagement Plan and Engagement Programme, including selection of focus companies for engagement.
· Help support improvements to the company’s engagement processes through participation in ad hoc projects or ideas generation or constructive feedback on new proposed approaches.
Adhere to the FCA’s Conduct Rules, understanding that they set basic standards of good personal conduct.
Who we are looking for
· Applicants should have significant experience and, ideally, a relevant professional qualification or experience from a professional services discipline.
· Strong knowledge on ESG issues and experience in responsible investment is required.
· A bachelor’s degree is preferable. To enhance the diversity of skills and experience in the team, candidates with computer science, mathematics, sciences, engineering disciplines is an advantage.
· Significant work experience in a complementary field(s) such as corporate development, sustainability, strategy, governance, investor relations, finance, accountancy or investment/ business consultancy, equity or debt research or legal advisory services.
· Overseas cultural experience in Asia, especially South East Asia (secondment and/or posting in the relevant markets, not only business travels) and/or fluency in one of the Asian languages such as Mandarin Chinese or Korean is an advantage
· Excellent influencing skills including demonstrable diplomacy and tenacity
· Solid understanding of how business works (governance; business models; financial)
· Strong analytical ability; highly numerate
Candidate must be eligible to work in the UK without restriction
Investment management company