Senior Engager, Asia & Global Emerging Markets
This role is responsible for leading allocated parts of the corporate, public policy and market best practice engagement consistent with the our Engagement Plan to achieve substantial and demonstrable change on material stewardship, corporate governance, long-term strategy and environmental and social issues. This is primarily through delivering an engagement strategy at an allocated set of large companies. The role holder will also deliver allocated proxy voting recommendations.
Deliver a pre-agreed set of objectives across engagement, voting, integration, theme and market best practice, clients and team and personal development.
Engagement: lead engagement for a defined set of companies and public policy & market best practice objectives consistent with the Engagement Plan
· Lead a programme of company engagement through detailed company research and consultation with investment colleagues, development of an engagement strategy and objectives on material issues, building relationships across the company including at board and ExCo level, development of a regular dialogue and meetings – in line with agreed KPIs.
· Oversee, edit or write responses to public policy consultations and engage with policy makers
· Develop allocated market, sector and/ or theme stewardship strategies including identifying market leading opportunities for impact
Stewardship integration and client engagement:
· Collaborating with in-house fund investment teams on approaches to enhance and strengthen ESG integration into investment strategies.
· Developing joint strategies for engagement and taking part in joint stewardship activities.
Voting & ESG data products: Deliver voting recommendations and content for other ESG-related client products
· Make voting recommendations to clients
· Undertake research on allocated companies for ESG products for clients such as on controversial companies
· Demonstrate good judgement to know when to escalate uncertain or controversial issues to more senior team members.
· Clients and business development: Support the leadership and client team in the development of strong client relationships by attending at client events and specific EOS prospecting and promotional activities.
The jobholder may be required to undertake travel to relevant countries.
Decision-making authority: The jobholder will have a good degree of autonomy in decision making, particularly in relation to the job’s main purpose and tasks, and may take responsibility for directing and supervising the work of more junior associates from time to time as required.
Who we are looking for
· Applicants should be educated to degree level (or equivalent), in a relevant discipline, e.g. Business Studies, Finance, Accounting or Sustainability-related.
· A demonstrable understanding of corporate affairs and, ideally, the investment industry.
· Strong knowledge of major environmental, social and/or governance issues.
· Significant experience in a complementary field(s) such as strategy, sustainability, governance, investor relations, finance, accountancy, internal audit, risk management or investment/ business consultancy, equity or debt research or legal advisory services. This may be in a corporation, government, academia, NGO or other.
· The application of sustainability and corporate governance, business strategy, risk and communication issues applied to companies, across a range of relevant sectors and with experience of their application in Asia, ideally including Japan, or relevant emerging markets.
· Experience working with senior executives and, ideally, board members.
Languages and other skills
· Fluency (written and spoken) in English required.
· Ability to communicate proficiently (verbally and in writing) in other major Asian language is an advantage, with a preference for Japanese (but not essential). Other emerging market languages (such as Brazilian Portuguese, Spanish, Russian) also of interest.
· Excellent influencing skills including demonstrable diplomacy and tenacity
· Excellent relationship building skills, with all levels of seniority
· Self-motivated and able to use own initiative, in particular to identify opportunities for impact and drive forward own programme of work
· Strong analytical ability; highly numerate, strong attention to detail and ability to apply detailed policies
· Collaborative and a strong team player, but also ability to work alone
· Ability to manage others and lead internal research initiatives
VISA sponsorship may be offered for suitable candidates
Leading investment management company